Jago Grahak Jago

Jago Grahak Jago Logo

Dialysis at Rs 650 and ECG at Rs 20: Charity organisation offers sustainable healthcare solution

Mar 17,2024

Amritsar: How does a charity organisation effectively provide medical tests, including dialysis, ECG, etc. at prices that are approximately 10 to 11 per cent of those charged by private and government medical services, while remaining financially sustainable?

“We offer kidney dialysis services at Rs 650, which includes a free Dialyzer kit. In comparison, private clinics charge anywhere from Rs 2000 to Rs 4500 for the same service in the government and private laboratories respectively.

Additionally, our ECG test costs only Rs 20, while it is charged at Rs 66 and Rs 175 to Rs 200 in government and private clinics respectively “ said Dr SPS Oberoi, Managing Trustee of Sarbat Da Bhala Charitable Trust (SDBCT), while offering the Trust’s expertise to assist the government sector in reducing medical test charges for the benefit of patients.

When questioned about the financial viability of providing cost-effective medical tests and services, he explained that the Trust enters into Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) with both private and government hospitals in the area to provide dialysis services. Under these agreements, the Trust supplies the dialysis machines to the hospital and a cost-sharing arrangement of 70 per cent-30 per cent is established with the hospitals.

“The hospital provides 70 per cent of its dialysis services to patients referred by the Trust, charging only Rs 650 while the diaysis kit costing around Rs 1200 is provided free of cost by the Trust For the remaining 30 per cent of patients, they charge their standard rates,” he explained.

Oberoi who in the recent past has been accorded the title of ‘Ambassador for Peace’ by the Inter-University Higher Academic Council, Paris, France, was here on Sunday to hold a meeting with his team to chalk out plans for opening as many as 10 free medial laboratories and dialyses centers in various cities of Himachal Pradesh including Dharamshala, Manali, Shimla, Kullu and Manali.

He said that even after charging patients Rs 650, the hospital saves around Rs 300 per dialysis, covering their service charges like infrastructure, doctor, and staff expenses, and still makes profits.

Similarly, giving an example of ECG test, he informed that the Trust charge Rs 20 per ECG as compared to Rs 175 to Rs 200 by private laboratories and Rs 66 by government hospitals.

Despite offering services at minimal charges, the Trust remains sustainable without incurring losses. Oberoi questioned the exorbitant charges levied by government laboratories on patients. He said that private labs operate as businesses and government institutions should prioritise affordable healthcare.

MD of SDBCT expressed readiness to guide government bodies in implementing similar cost-effective models.

Source: Healthworld