Jago Grahak Jago

Jago Grahak Jago Logo

Consumer Commissions

The Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Government of India has incorporated the Department of Consumer Affairs as the nodal organisation to protect the consumer rights, redress the consumer grievances and promote the standards governing goods and services provided in India.

You can make a consumer complaint under the following circumstances:

  • The goods or services purchased or agreed to be purchased has one or more defects or deficiencies in any respect.
  • A trader or a service provider resorts to unfair or restrictive trade practices.
  • A trader or a service provider charges a price more than the price displayed on the goods, or the price that was agreed upon between the parties, or the price that was stipulated under any law that exists.
  • Goods or services that bring a hazard to the safety or life of a person offered for sale, unknowingly or knowingly, that cause injury to health, safety or life.

Who Can Make a Complaint?

  1. A consumer
  2. In case of death of a consumer, his legal heir or legal representative
  3. In case of a consumer being a minor, his parent or legal guardian
  4. One or more consumers, where there are numerous consumers having the same interest
  5. Any voluntary consumer association registered under any law for the time being in force
  6. The central government or any state government
  7. The central authority

Where to File a Complaint?

  • Can be filed in a regular way in writing (offline)
  • Can be filed online – http://edaakhil.nic.in/
  • Can be filed on the National Consumer Helpline – call 1800-11-4000 or 1915, send SMS to 8800001915 or register on https://consumerhelpline.gov.in/
  • Can be filed on the NCH or UMANG mobile apps

Time Limit for Filing the Complaint

The complaint should be filed within two years from the date on which the cause of action has arisen. This would mean two years from the day the deficiency in service or defect in goods has arisen/detected. This is also known as the limitation period for filing the complaint.

Locate Your Consumer Commission

The Consumer Protection Act has instituted a three-tier structure for consumer redressal:

  • District Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission: For complaints upto Rs 1 crore
  • State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission: For complaints between Rs 1 crore to Rs 10 crores
  • National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission: For complaints above Rs 10 crores (https://ncdrc.nic.in/)

Click on the state to get the contact details of the district/state commission in your city: